Colonel Gaddafi had a MI background with training in the USA, who helped him into power with a coup in 1969. Units of the Green Berets trained his security forces and maintained him in power for many of the 42 years of his rule well after the coup of 1969. This partly explains why he has been in power for so long.
The other explanation is that in my honest opinion Gaddafi is a good effective leader for his people.
Many so called rebel groups around the world be they peaceful or militant are in fact "Controlled Opposition"...which basically means that such groups act as pied pipers for the agenda's of the ruling elite. They serve as "useful idiots" of the ruling classes to be manipulated for their agenda's.
ALL Islamist armed groups such as "al-Qaeda" or the Muslim Brotherhood and the Taliban are creations of Western Intelligence, with the UK playing a pioneering role of such "Useful idiots" as tools of 5th column destabilization programs to subvert the 57 Muslim majority countries.
There are credible allegations that the IRA, and the Real IRA were and are run by British Intelligence to serve specific elite agenda's in the UK....and to serve as tools of destabilization of the UK state.
In India subject to many forms of terrorism, it is believed that terrorist organizations such as IM and SIMI are run by RAW, as well as many of the Kashmir insurgency groups as "Controlled Opposition." It is RAW which trained the Tamil Tigers, and it is RAW who hand picked Velupillai Prabhakaran (1976 - 2009) as the leader of the LTTE, and trained its cadres including those who killed Rajiv Gandhi in 1991. Though there is fashionable talk of "saffron terrorism" in India, what is omitted in this narrative is the organizational role of RAW in many terrorist cases in India...for example those especially carried out in Mumbai.
In Pakistan ALL Islamist groups be they peaceful or armed operate under the guidance of the ISI. If any of these Islamist groups tried to steer an independent political course from the ISI, they would be destroyed as dangerous anti-state terrorists. ALL Islamist terrorism in Pakistan is carried out by the ISI through their Islamist proxies. They serve as "Controlled Opposition" for the agenda's of the Pakistan military, and the elite of Pakistan.
This is how it is all around the world.
So what we have here in Libya is the POSSIBILITY that a significant section of the so-called al-Qaeda affiliated rebel groups in Libya may in fact be working for Gaddafi in order to control the opposition for the benefit and survival of his regime. This explains their constant bickering and lack of strategy.
If some sections of the al-Qaeda affiliated rebel groups in Libya are indeed working for him, then in the case of Libya ONLY I endorse the use of "Controlled Opposition". The al-Qaeda affiliated rebel groups it is rumored number only 800, with the rest made up of foreign mercenaries from Europe and South America.
Note the sheer ease and comfort with which the Westerners work with the al-Qaeda affiliated rebel groups in Libya.
Note the financial help going from the UK ($150 million) and other Western countries to these al-Qaeda affiliated rebel groups in Libya.
80% of the Libyan people support Gaddafi according to Franklin Lamb, and the remaining 20% may not like him based on tribal historical factors........but nothing to do with deep rooted hatred of a so called evil dictator.
Libyan rebel commander Gen. Abdel Fatah Younis was killed on Thursday after having been arrested on suspicion of remaining strategic ties with the Gadhafi regime. Younis had previously headed the interior ministry under Moammar Gadhafi before defecting to the rebels in February, and was assassinated by pro-Gadhafi assailants just before being questioned on the charges.
Recent reports have claimed that Younis was arrested for allegedly dealing with and smuggling arms to Gaddafi loyalists. Two of his aides – Col Muhammad Khamis and Nasir al-Madhkur – were also killed in the attack. The head of rebel council, Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, announced the assassination at a news conference, but many details have not been revealed. He did say that the head of the group believed to be responsible for the killings has been arrested.
Having been arrested early on Thursday and then killed by Gadhafi loyalists just before arriving for questioning about his alleged betrayal, leads to questions about what his killers did not want him revealing to the rebels’ Transitional National Council.
Tony Birtley, reporting from Benghazi, told Al Jazeera “He spent 40 years as one of Gaddafi’s right hand men as minister of defence and in charge of the special forces. So when he came over five months ago to the opposition cause it was quite a coup. But some people have had their doubts about… his loyalties…”